Random fun facts catch us off guard in the best possible way. They’re unexpected or unusual bits of knowledge from the worlds of science, history, and pop culture that delight and entertain us—and anyone we share them with.
But these interesting facts aren’t just amusing pieces of information about animals that will make you a whiz at answering trivia questions: They’re legitimately fascinating, and once you get started, you’ll want to keep reading until your curiosity is satisfied.
Most people like cats because they are very loving and playful friends. There are many types of cats, and all look very different, and have very different personalities.
Most cats usually weigh between 5.5 -16 pounds, but some can weigh up to 25 pounds! Cats are healthiest and safest when kept indoors. Cats who live inside can live up to 20 years longer than cats who go outside.
Sadly, there are more cats than there are homes for them. Adopting a cat from a shelter instead of buying one from a pet store or breeder gives a needy cat a loving home. More than 100,000 cats are killed each year just for dissection in biology classrooms across the country.
Many of the cats killed for dissection were once someone’s pets.There are so many great things you can do to learn about cats instead of dissecting them.
Be A Cat Companion!
- Keep your cat(s) indoors. She’ll be safer and happier.
- Make sure that your cat is spayed or neutered.
Most people don’t like rats, because they don’t know all the facts about these amazing little animals. Rats are lovable, friendly animals, and many people live with them as companion animals!
Rats are a part of a larger group of animals called rodents. There are over 570 kinds of rats, who come in all different shapes and sizes. Rats like to keep themselves very clean. They lick themselves all over with their paws, just like cats!
Rats sleep during the day and are up at night. Rats live in lots of different places like deserts and mountains. Sometimes humans will set out traps and or poisons to get rid of rats. Unfortunately, not only are these cruel ways to kill rats, but poisons can also harm the air and water, polluting our environment.
Be A Rat Friend!
- Don’t poison rats or use rat traps if there is one living in your home. Instead use a humane trap to capture the rat and release her outside.
- Don’t keep classroom pets. The best way to learn about animals is to observe them in the their natural habitats.
- There are so many great things you can do to learn about rats that won’t hurt them.
- Let people know that rats are cool! Once people under stand more about these misunderstood creatures, the more people will want to protect them.
Pigs, also called ‘swine’ or ‘hogs,’ are among the smartest animals. They are also very social animals and can talk to each other by using calls, snorts, sniffs, and whistles.
Pigs are very clean animals, and when given the choice, pigs refuse to go to the bathroom close to their living and eating areas. Pigs roll in mud because they don’t have sweat glands and they do this to keep cool.
Sadly, most pigs in the United States are raised for food and don’t live in barns or the outdoors. Instead they spend most of their life in closed buildings called factory farms where they are kept in small crates and can’t roam free.
Be A Pig Pal!
- Tell all your friends that pigs are cool! The more people know about pigs, the more people will care about what happens to them.
- Try taking the pork off your plate! There are many delicious vegetarian foods, such as veggie bacon and sausage. Make pigs your friends, not your food!
- There are so many great things you can do to learn about pigs that won’t hurt them.
Most people think of worms as slimy, icky, and wiggly. However, what people don’t know is that these little creatures are very important to our environment. If we didn’t have earthworms then, trees, leaves, fruit, nuts and dead plants and animals would keep piling up. Earthworms eat these things.
They are nature’s recyclers! There are about 2,700 different types of earthworms known worldwide. Some can be almost twelve feet long! Earthworms are invertebrates, or animals who do not have a backbone.
In fact, earthworms do not have any bones at all. Earthworms also don’t have lungs; they breathe through their skin instead. They even have five hearts!
Be A Worm Friend!
- Don’t harm worms. Watching them outside is the best way to learn more about how they live.
- Ask your parents or caregivers to buy organic fruits and vegetables which have not been sprayed with chemicals.
- There are so many great things you can do to learn about worms that won’t hurt them.
- Let people know that earthworms are really interesting creatures and very important to our environment.
Crayfish are also called crawfish, crawdads, and mudbugs. There are over 500 types of crayfish, and they are found in freshwater like streams, rivers, and ponds. Crayfish look like small lobsters, and they can be beige, brown, or green.
Crayfish have ten legs, and their two front legs have strong claws that they use as tools. Crayfish also have antennas that they use to feel things around them. Crayfish do most of their hunting and eating at night. Young crayfish can be active during the day.
Be A Crayfish Friend!
- It is important to remember that a crayfish is an animal and animals feel pain. Make crayfish your friends!
- There are many great things you can do to learn about crayfish that won’t hurt them.
- Don’t keep crayfish in an aquarium. Crayfish should live in their natural environment. It’s where they are the happiest!
- Be kind to the environment. Don’t litter, and remember to recycle. Pollution that gets into streams, rivers, and ponds can harm crayfish and other animals.
- Top 24 Fascinating Australian Animals – With Photos
- Top 4 – World’s Fastest And Slowest Land Animals
- List of 25+ Common Wild Animals with Pictures
- The Fascinating World of Black & White Animals
- Top 10 Animals that Live in the Mountains
- 24 Animals That Start With First Letter of English Alphabet
- Top 25 Animals That Live in Madagascar
- 34 Most Common Asian Animals
- Top 12 Popular Animals Starting With Letter N
- Top 20 Animals to See on Wildlife Safari