Thanksgiving is a time for family gatherings, gratitude, and indulging in a variety of delicious foods. As we celebrate this holiday, it’s essential to remember that not all foods are safe for our furry companions, especially dogs. Some common Thanksgiving foods can be harmful and even deadly for dogs.
Here are eight Thanksgiving day foods that can pose serious risks to your canine friend.
1. Turkey Skin
The fatty skin of cooked turkey can be very tempting for dogs, but it’s a big no-no. High-fat foods like turkey skin can cause pancreatitis in dogs, leading to symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and abdominal pain.
2. Cooked Bones
Cooked turkey or chicken bones can splinter and cause severe harm to your dog. They may break into sharp fragments that can injure the digestive tract or even cause choking. Always keep bones out of reach and dispose of them safely.
3. Onions & Garlic
Onions and garlic, whether cooked, raw, or in powdered form, can be toxic to dogs. They can cause damage to a dog’s red blood cells, leading to anemia. Symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and even organ damage.
Alcohol, including any dishes or desserts containing alcohol, can be extremely dangerous for dogs. Even small amounts can lead to intoxication, causing vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, tremors, and in severe cases, coma and death.
Certain nuts, like macadamia nuts and walnuts, are toxic to dogs. Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, vomiting, tremors, and hyperthermia, while walnuts can lead to gastrointestinal upset or obstruction due to their hard shells.
Nutmeg is a common spice used in Thanksgiving dishes, but it’s harmful to dogs. It can cause tremors, seizures, central nervous system problems, and, in severe cases, even death.
Sage, a popular herb in stuffing and other Thanksgiving recipes, can be toxic to dogs. Ingestion can cause vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and even central nervous system depression.
8. Chocolate, Dough & Batter
Chocolate is well-known for being toxic to dogs. It contains theobromine, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate, seizures, and, in extreme cases, death. Additionally, raw dough containing yeast can expand in a dog’s stomach and cause bloating or even rupture. Moreover, raw dough can ferment, leading to alcohol poisoning.
To keep your dog safe during Thanksgiving and other holidays, it’s crucial to educate yourself and your guests about what foods are off-limits for dogs. Ensure that all food items are kept out of reach, and remind well-meaning friends and family members not to share their plates with your four-legged friend.
If you suspect your dog has consumed any harmful food, contact your veterinarian immediately or seek emergency veterinary care. Prevention and awareness are key to a safe and joyful holiday season for both you and your beloved pet.